The bridge which is listed Grade II was designed by the Architect James Wyatt and built in approximately 1790 making it one of the oldest wrought iron bridges in Britain. Due to the presence of lead based paints on the structure the bridge was encapsulated with scaffolding and then enviro wrapped to protect the surrounding environment and water course.
Full Blast then installed a high powered dust extraction system to prevent contamination. All waste was removed from the enclosure in sealed bags and disposed of in accordance with current environmental procedures and regulations.
The entire structure was blast cleaned to SA 2.5 to remove all previous coatings and rust deposits. This provided a clean and stable substrate for the new coatings to be applied. A 2 pack high build primmer was specified to give long lasting corrosion protection to the metalwork. This was applied using an airless paint system. A stripe coat of a contrasting colour was then applied to all edges, nuts, bolts and rivets.
A second coat of primer in a contrasting colour was then applied to reach a dry film thickness of 350 microns. Full Blast had supplied the client with various top coat finish option after which it was decided on a semi gloss 2 pack product was to be applied at 60 microns as per the manufacturer’s specification.
Once all work was complete a full site clear up was carried out by Full Blast employees before handing the work area back over to the client.